QUESTIONS THAT DRIVE ME BATTY
Not necessarily stupid, not stuff I get asked all the time, just ones that I hate a lot.
- •"Where do you get your confidence?"@mindy explained why this is bullshit: “I think people are well meaning, but it’s pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is, ‘You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalized person. You’re not skinny, you’re not white, you’re a woman. Why on earth would you feel like you’re worth anything?’” There are parts of that quote I'm not able to relate to, and I think those are the most important parts to get into, but I do think that question is always bound to be a bummer.
- •"Why are you single?"Context is important for why it makes me mad, but I don't think there's ever an appropriate time to ask that. It's especially inappropriate to ask on a first date, followed up with, "Are you crazy?" (Which has actually happened to me!) (What the fuck!)
- •"How do I get to [place]?"This is entirely me-specific, and I only hate it when it's a stranger on the street, but I don't KNOW. I never know! I just want everyone to assume I spent my entire life up to this point in a ditch, because that's what my sense of direction would imply. I cannot help you or myself.
- •"Did you lose weight?"Probably not! And if I did, I really really don't want to talk about it ever! For most of my life, any noticeable weight loss has been due to stress or illness, and it's transient, and I don't want to feel like you're keeping tabs. The only acceptable time to comment on my body is when I bring it up and specifically ask you for feedback.
- •"But have you considered..."Context is also very important here. If you're honestly trying to bring another perspective or solution to the table, I love that! If you're doing anything that could be construed as "playing devil's advocate" then YES I have considered it and also I hate you fundamentally.