American Stuff That Had to Be Explained to Me
I'm a 1.5 generation Filipina American and despite being very assimilated into US culture, there are still lots of American things my white friends had to explain to me. Inspired by @hannieshit's list.
- •Civil War reenactmentsWHY.
- •Rodeos, dog shows, equestrian, lots of animal stuffWait, so the humans get awards because the animals are good at things?
- •CasserolesYou just layer food in a pan and bake it and that can be considered cooking??? AMAZING. Finally something I can excel at in the kitchen!
- •Geneology obsessionESPECIALLY for descendants of pilgrims and slaveowners. Like, are you really proud of this?
- •VoluntourismYou do realize that there are plenty of poor communities that need immediate aid right here in the U.S., right? Probably really close to your neighborhood, too!
- •English words for profanity and body partsI didn't know how to say butt, fart, genitals, boobs, or curse words in anything but Tagalog until I was easily 9 years old.
- •TanningI was just born this way so....
- •"When I was 18, I was on my own."A couple of friends told me this happened to them and it made me so sad, because even at 25 I don't feel like an adult and I can't imagine being 18 and having to figure out life alone because of an arbitrary legal assignment of adulthood.
- •Camping/sleeping outdoorsMy family saved money and risked everything to move to America specifically so we would no longer have to do this.