Best Scenes in Spring Breakers
Spring Breakers is one of my favorite movies of all time and when I say this, people either really get me or want to get as far away from me as possible. It's full of absurd moments that make it a beautiful oddity. It makes me feel the entire spectrum of human emotion. It's a dumpster fire and a masterpiece. These scenes are what make it great.
- •The robbery montage set to Everytime by Britney SpearsHoly shit. This is the tour de force. Alien (James Franco) describes Britney Spears as "an angel if ever there was one on this Earth" and sings Everytime while playing a poolside piano. Then, they all rob people! There are SO many details. The slow dance with shotguns, the sweatpants with DTF on the ass, the outdoor piano, the brilliant sunset. They even rob a wedding!
- •The "Look at my shit!" monologueJames Franco proudly lists every single solitary item in this ridiculous room, from Calvin Klein fragrances to nunchucks to "shorts in every fucking color". It is a triumph. I hope to one day use this monologue at an audition.
- •James Franco fellates two guns.I can't even give you context for this. It just happens.
- •Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson rob a chicken restaurant.One continuous shot from inside a car driving slowly along the side of the restaurant as it gets robbed. The girls enter the restaurant, smash things with hammers, intimidate people with squirt guns, and steal all their money. You hear nothing but Moment For Life by Nicki Minaj playing in the car. It's breathtaking.
- •Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson shoot up a beachside mansion.An orchestral version of that Skrillex song plays as they shoot people in slow motion while wearing day-glo bikinis and pink ski masks with unicorns on them. Colors and beauty and a sweet sadness for the end of an epic Spring Break.
- •Gucci Mane scenesHe never enunciates and always seems to be half asleep. There's a gratuitous sex scene where he sort of mumbles at the woman that she's doing a good job. He watches two women shower while sitting in a hot tub across the room and tells them to "get [your ass] squeaky clean" for me. He barely wants to be there but this is also the man who brought my personal catch phrase "Bitch I might be" into existence, so respect.
- •The scene where the girls are all drunk and peeing in the street.Voiceover: Selena Gomez calling her grandmother to tell her how much she loves her.
- •Spring Break Forever, Bitches