Country Music I Like
I used to be one of those "I listen to everything but country" people, but I have seen the light. It can be great.
- •Dolly PartonA national treasure. She has a genuine warmth about her that shines through in writing and voice. I Will Always Love You makes my heart soar into the sun and then shatter into a billion little pieces. Songs like Jolene, Just Because I'm A Woman, and It's All Wrong, But It's All Right make me feel a warm kinship with her. She just gets it, and she always has.
- •Kacey MusgravesHer first album is a triumph. She's young, no nonsense, and cool as fuck. Follow Your Arrow is as much a song celebrating those living life authentically as it is a fuck you to a dying generation of judgey assholes. Silver Lining and Keep It Yourself punch me right in the heart.
- •Sam HuntI took one look at this dude bro and thought "What a douchebag." I should hate him. Then, I watched the music video for House Party and heard the sweetly endearing Take Your Time. I'm hooked. I would be his (and his hot guitarist's) bro any time.
- •SugarlandJennifer Nettles's voice makes me want to cry in a good way. I went to a Sugarland concert for the opener (Sara Bareilles) and ended up staying the whole time because they were excellent. Tell me Stay doesn't give you feelings!
- •Dixie ChicksI drove away from a job I hated for the last time yelling along to Not Ready To Make Nice. Ordinarily I would be upset at anyone with the gall to cover Stevie Nicks's Landslide (which is a perfect song), but against all odds, I think their rendition holds up as a lovely homage to the original.
- •Independence Day - Martina McBrideGod, I love this song.
- •Miranda LambertI'm not the hugest fan of her music but I really like her as a human.