Feminist Texts You Should Read
Relax by a pool this summer and learn something. Accepting suggestions!
- •Mapping The Margins: Intersectionality, Identity Politics, and Violence Against Women of Color -Kimberle Williams CrenshawINTERSECTIONALITY. Read it, learn it, LIVE IT. Your feminism is bullshit without it. Her text is here FOR FREE: http://bit.ly/1g8k3Xo
- •This Bridge Called My Back -Cherrie MoragaWritings by Radical Women of Color. An anthology of powerful contributions from women of color that covers race, sexual orientation, love, language, discrimination.
- •Feminism is for Everybody -bell hooksNo, I don't agree with her about Beyoncé. Yes, this book is crucial.
- •Women, Race, and Class - Angela Davis❤️❤️❤️
- •Sister Outsider, Uses of the Erotic - Audre LordeThe personal is political, the erotic is power. Both continue to blow my fucking mind.
- •Asian American Women and Men: Labor, Laws, and Love - Yen Le EspirituGender experience and disadvantage are NOT universal; they depend heavily on race, sexuality, and class.
- •Shadow on a Tightrope: Writings by Women on Fat Oppression - various, anthologyThin women continue to be the face of palatable feminism and body positive. Not saying that thin women don't have legitimate problems re: beauty standards, but fat women bear the brunt of this issue, have plenty to say about it and have written SO MUCH that people haven't bothered to read about.
- •Bad Feminist - Roxane GayBRILLIANT.
- •Redefining Realness - Janet MockA heartfelt memoir about a trans woman who lives her life authentically. It made my heart soar.
- •I'm the One That I Want - Margaret ChoThis memoir made me laugh and cry. She covers her childhood, her coming out story, living with mental illness and eating disorders, and the bullshit experience that was filming her sitcom.