The Dentist Is Scary but You Should Still Go: A Case Study
I have a pretty smile and I never have toothaches, but I haven't been to the dentist in 3 years. Because it's scary and I'm a wimp! Here is the story of why I regret that decision.
- •I had a dentist appointment today.I brush twice a day and don't have bad breath or toothache problems so I figured I could skip these now that I'm an adult and no one forces me to do things that scare me anymore.
- •I don't have any cavities.Oh thank god.
- •But, apparently my gums are terrible!Fuck.
- •My dentist said even though I am 25, my X-rays make me look 35.RUDE.
- •He suggested a deep cleaning after scaring me with a giant model of what my teeth could look like if I get periodontitis.YOUR TEETH GET BROWN AND YOUR GUMS RECEDE AND THEN YOUR TEETH FALL OUT. IT IS HORRIFYING.
- •After panic texting my dad, he tells me he had the same problem at 20 years old.Except his dentist said his mouth looked like he was 50 years old...so 30 years. His teeth look great now and his gums are fine but that's only after he was scared straight.
- •This is hereditary!Common in my family but also pretty common for East and South Asians. Might be a mix of diet and biology.
- •But I can't blame it all on biology, because I was the wimpy idiot who didn't go to the dentist for 3 years and aged internally by about a decade.
- •Deep cleaning is expensive!$200 with my insurance, $495 without.
- •I cried when I got my local anesthetic shots.My gums are already really sensitive so it hurt but also I felt scared and stupid.
- •Half my mouth was numb! And the other half has to be numb tomorrow.Right side today, left side tomorrow.
- •I had to schedule a follow up, polishing, and another cleaning for normal humans with healthy mouths.I AM GONNA SPEND TOO MUCH TIME AT THE DENTIST THIS SUMMER.
- •GO TO THE DENTIST. ORAL HEALTH IS ESSENTIAL.I was dumb and scared but the lesson here is even if something scares me, i have to do it if it will keep me healthy.