Things to Tell Yourself When You're Having a Rough Day
for when you have to tell your stressed, anxious, and depressed brain to chill the fuck out
- •This feeling is temporary.It's true.
- •Don't get on that train (of thought)I think of my brain as a train station and the thoughts are trains. I can choose to think more about a thought and get on its train or let it pass me by. The negative thoughts and the thoughts that keep me afraid or anxious or sad are not the trains I need to get on. Let those trains go by.
- •I love you.Very important to remind yourself often.
- •You are enough.I don't need to be "more" of anything to be worthy of respect or kindness or joy or love.
- •Breathe in (1,2,3,4) breathe out (1,2,3,4,5)Slows the heart rate, gives me something else to think about.
- •Take care of yourself.Usually leads to a walk around the block and sunshine break or a hot chocolate, depending on the season.
- •Don't die on me, Manalo.I mean business when I talk to myself in the second person AND call myself by my last name.
- •"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Theodore RooseveltA lot of my anxiety comes from comparing my success, achievements, etc to others. And I've realized no good can come from that. I printed out this quote and put it next to my computer at my desk at work as a subtle reminder.Suggested by @TJ
- •Ask yourself "what's the worst case scenario?"Figure out the worst possible outcome, then make yourself okay with it. Once you're okay with that, you know you're okay with everything other outcome, however non-ideal. (Shout out to my calm, practical, engineer dad for this one).Suggested by @yasi
- •There are probably people worse off than youI know it's terrible to say (or at least the notion of comfort deriving from people's suffering is), but it can put things in perspective regardless of what you're going through. Find stories about people who had a worse day than you and read/see/hear how they got through it.Suggested by @p
- •"You will never have the singular plight of splitting your leather pants and revealing your flaccid penis to a crowd of Swedes" words of wisdom by @ohlaurenSuggested by @Creamz