JOBS I'VE HAD
Inspired by @ashleygsiler
- 1.BabysitterI'm not even remotely maternal so this didn't last long. I would always bribe the kids with pizza and force them to go to bed early.
- 2.Bagging Assistant at a grocery storeNo smushed bread or bags full of cans on my watch. To this day I have to bag my own stuff because it drives me nuts when it's a hot mess. The only bad part was clearing carts from the parking lot in the rain, snow or blistering heat.
- 3.Cashier at a different grocery storeThe easiest job I've ever had, mostly because the store was small and I had no problem standing in one spot for hours on end. I've toyed with the idea of doing it again part-time for extra cash but I don't think I'm as forgiving now as I was when I was 16.
- 4.Copy room assistantI was in the college of music so mostly I had to Xerox musical scores and sort mail. My supervisor chain smoked and took her false teeth out to eat.
- 5.Resident AdvisorThis was like babysitting except the kids got wasted every weekend. Not my favorite.
- 6.Seasonal Retail AssociateNightmare. Bath and Body Works over the holidays. I walked out of the store covered in at least nine different lotion scents every night. I missed Christmas Eve with my family because we had to do a massive floor change. Made me appreciate the education I was getting in college so I wouldn't have to do that for the rest of my life.
- 7.Personal Assistant/Tutor in university Disability Services OfficeOne of my top two jobs to date. I loved the students, my boss was amazing, and I had lots of room to grow. Working there put me on the path to project management, which I love.
- 8.Fiction EditorI got paid in pizza and beer and got to put together the undergraduate literary magazine. Super fun.
- 9.Freelancer EditorYou name it I've worked on it. Novels, dissertations, copywriting, technical manuals, newsletters. I liked this because I could do it from home in my pajamas and it typically paid well.
- 10.Admin tempAnswering phones, data entry, filing. Pretty boring but it helped fund a months-long trip to Europe.
- 11.Cocktail WaitressDecent way to make money if you know what you're doing and how to handle drunk people. The worst part was cleaning the bathrooms at the end of the night. Bless.
- 12.Standardized Test GraderI scored 400 essay answers a day, six days a week, for four months. And it was one question. The rubric was insanely complicated and it was the same answers over and over again. I'd do it again though.
- 13.Testing CoordinatorMy first "real" job out of college. Nice office, good starting point for project management but there was no room to grow and it was in the wrong city.
- 14.Project CoordinatorGot me back to Cincinnati and into publishing. I outperformed everyone else in my department for two years and couldn't get promoted, but luckily another manager noticed and recruited me onto his team...
- 15.Sr Content Services SpecialistMy current job and maybe my favorite so far. My boss is supportive but still pushes me outside my comfort zone. I manage a TON of content but I love the pace and making order out of chaos. No office (yet) but I'm paid well and my cube has a window.