RIDICULOUS ITEMS I'LL ATTEMPT TO BAKE IN THE NEXT 365 DAYS
Damn you, Great British Bake Off. I might be biting off more than I can chew (ha! Nailed it) but I'm going to attempt these over the next year. There will be successes and failures, but go big or go home. My friends are gonna get soooooooo fat.
- •Swedish Princess CakeThis is sponge, jam, custard, whipped cream and marzipan -- all homemade. And just for fun there's a frosting rose on the top. I've already promised to make this for a friend's birthday in April. Lord help me.
- •Charlotte Royal CakeLike the Swedish Princess this is sponge and jam rolled into a jelly roll, sliced, domed, and filled with a custardy mousse. Sure. Why not?
- •Lemon curdThere's a strong possibility that if I learn to make this I'll never stop eating it.
- •TiramisuOne of my favorites. I've made it before but I used store-bought ladyfingers which apparently is a big cheat.
- •Cherry cakeCome on, man. That looks like a cake my grandma would make, which is always a good sign.
- •BriocheBread is always a good choice. I've made bread before (but never brioche) so I might have a shot at this one.
- •Puff pastryUuuuuugh, this will probably be a disaster. Real talk.
- •Genoese spongeAre you intimidated by that picture? ME EITHER.
- •Florentine cookiesI should probably buy a candy thermometer before I tackle this one.
- •Schichttorte20-layer torte baked under the broiler? What could possibly go wrong?
- •Tart CitronPastry crust. My nemesis.
- •Opera cakeAnother personal favorite. A local bakery makes a killer opera cake so I've never attempted it, but I should. Oy.