Things I Learned From Putting My Loft On The Market
I live in a 575 square foot studio in Over the Rhine, aka Cincinnati's version of Williamsburg. I've been here almost 7 years.
- •Let's start with the obvious: My place is adorable.And on the best block in the neighborhood. You should buy it.
- •Studio living isn't for everyone. I get that. But at this point it's the only way to BUY rehabbed property in this neighborhood for less than $200k.😳💵💵
- •The loft has been on the market four days and we've already had 10 showings.More scheduled this week. Not considering any offers until the 13th.
- •This is what I've learned so far...
- •"Location, location, location" is a real thing.The only reason my loft has gained so much value is because the neighborhood has blown up over the past six years.
- •If you watch enough HGTV you can be your own home stager.Just pack up half your shit, obsessively clean every surface and only display stuff that looks it belongs in a Restoration Hardware catalogue.
- •It's not that hard to keep your house super clean all the time.Assuming you live alone, with no pets, in a small place, and don't mind eating off the same plate over and over, or Swiffering every single goddamn day.
- •Meal planning now revolves around what can easily be prepared and eaten over the kitchen sink because I am not cleaning that stove or oven again.Peanut butter and jelly FTW.
- •Some people will complain about paying $150k for a living space with no bedroom walls.These people are not ready to buy in your neighborhood. That's okay.
- •It's weird to think about strangers walking through your house when you're not there.Sure it's legit because there are realtors or whatever but still. Stranger danger!
- •People will book an hour for their appointment even though it only takes about 10 minutes to see the whole place. 🙄Which means you'll get exiled from your own home for hours at a time. So like, bring a book or plan to get a pedicure.
- •People will look in your shower.Fine, just don't steal my Lush stuff.
- •And your toilet.It's clean but come on. Awkward.
- •Also your fridge.Eat my snacks and I'll kill you.
- •They'll sit on the foot of your bed.Sorry bro, that's the VIP area and you ain't on the list.
- •It's important to be strategic.I'm planning to leave all the appliances but didn't include that in the listing so I can throw them in when we're negotiating. Looks like compromising when really, I have no intention of hauling that washer and dryer out.
- •If you put out fresh flowers potential buyers think your house is just a smidge nicer than it actually is.Suckers.
- •Some people will try to crybaby their way into making you an offer.These chuckleheads need to strap in because I love negotiating and don't give a shit about their precious feelings. IT'S A SELLER'S MARKET, BITCH.