BEST ADVICE I’VE EVER RECEIVED
This is just general advice. I will have a whole list of career advice and advice I got from my dad. His advice could take up an entire book!
- •"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right" - Jerry SeinfeldGeorge Constanza isn't the tv character I'd like to mirror my life after, but my parents have been telling me to "do the opposite of your instincts...like George Constanza" since that episode aired. Does the fork go on the left or the right? Whatever I think, do the opposite. Not enjoying my career, just do the opposite. Maybe I'll get hired by the Yankees too!
- •Put your mask on before helping othersDid anyone else feel like the airlines were playing a sick joke on parents when describing the safety manual before take ofd? 'Put your oxygen mask on before assisting others' & there's a pic of a helpless baby or small child next to the adult! But it's genius life advice to live by! How can you help someone else if you aren't stable/taken care of yourself? You need to be healthy to be a caretaker. You need to have the money to put food on the table before you give it away.
- •"It's not the items that matter, its the memories behind them" - Fran McCarthyMy grandmother died a week before my 7th birthday. She was my favorite family member with all the great Irish folk tales and her ability to teach a child how to play any card game at any age, plus she made a mean cup of tea with a side of toast. I loved her. Fran was her good friend and I wanted to keep all of her junk; it was pre-hoarding. I was jealous of what anyone else got of hers and Fran just said this to me at a family dinner one night & I never forgot it. The memories are what we keep.
- •It's not how much you make, it's how much you save.Yes, I want to buy all everything at HomeGoods and shop online after a drink or 2, but I also want to be able to have savings for vacations, investments, retirement, etc... Save, save, save!
- •Location, location, locationObviously this about buying a home, but it works for finding your career, your best friends, your significant other... Being in the right place at the right time can make all the difference.