Why the NBA Is America's Greatest Sports League
On the eve of a new season, let's talk about why you should get on board.
- •AestheticsThe style of play is the prettiest it's ever been, as rule changes have made every team prize passing and offensive creativity. The games are 2 1/2 hours long... there's no risk of a five-hour slog like in baseball. It's the easiest sport to follow visually, and the only one where you can actually see the athletes' faces.
- •Steph CurryLooks like a child, hits shots from every spot on the court. It's like a Disney movie.
- •EthicsAthletes who are compensated for the business they generate, playing a game that doesn't damage their long-term health, in a league that's more progressive than most. If you want a sports league you can follow with a clear conscience, the NBA's your best bet.
- •Crossover dribblesSO SIIIIICK
- •PersonalitiesIt has largely become a league of video-game addicts and fashion dorks. Most of the best players are actively affable dudes. And they're more entertaining on Twitter than players from other leagues.
- •No-look passesDAAAAAAAAAANG
- •The Lakers are a joyous messIt's an ancient, decaying Kobe Bryant, a couple young guys and some of the league's most magnificent weirdos. This team is going to be terrible, and it will make Kobe furious, and it's going to be hilarious.
- •Slam dunksOH SHIIIIIIIIIT