Books I've Read While on Vacation in San Diego
- •Dietland by Sarai WalkerFeminist and subversive and hilarious!
- •My Brilliant Friend by Elena FerranteThe first in the Neapolitan Novels--how women survive in a misogynistic old society and how women's roles changed. Compulsively readable.
- •Let Me Be Frank With You by Richard FordFinalist for the Pulitzer Prize for fiction, deservedly so--a meditation on aging and relationships
- •The Nightingale by Kristin HannahNazis the French Resistance. Great reviews. I found it tedious and boring.
- •Self Help by Lorrie MooreAn oldie but a goodie. Beautifully written stories of women struggling to keep from unravelling in one way or another.
- •I probably have time for one or two more before I go back to work next week. Suggestions???
- •Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf. Short and beautiful story about an older couple.Suggested by @BillNovak
- •Tumbledown by Robert Boswell. Highly recommended. Based around a mental health and retraining institution. Told from perspective of various characters with a wide range of IQ and emotional intelligence. Especially would like to hear a therapist's take on it.Suggested by @jtotheb