Jobs I Had Before I Was a Psychologist
Some great jobs and some that really sucked!
- •Junior Ski InstructorHighlands mountain Aspen Colorado. Winters from 15 to 17. In exchange for teaching tiny children to ski from nine until noon, we teenagers got a free pass for the rest of the day. They got cheap labor-- we got free skiing!
- •Salad GirlArthur's Restaurant in Aspen Colorado, age 16. Every day I roasted a turkey, chopped veggies, and prepared salads to order from 7 to 3 every day during the summer. I'm pretty sure I was high by 11am most days. Restaurant life, yo.
- •ParamedicI got certified as a Paramedic when I was 19 years old. Worked the ambulance crew out of Aspen Valley Hospital during the summers. Only female paramedic around. Saw some shit. Whole different list.
- •Lab RatCollege--I majored in biochemistry, and most of us worked for our professors who had to publish or perish. I spent one whole summer in a lab dungeon counting the number of mayflies in the stomach of Salmo Trutta. Yeah.
- •Editorial GruntI studied science writing at Caltech and thought I was going to have a major career as a science writer. Instead I was a poorly-paid copy editor for a bunch of different publishing companies. first job out of college sucks
- •EditorMatthew Bender. Legal publishing house--this is where @Larry worked as a legal writer. Office romance, wedding, he never got promoted again while I did--they didn't like the fraternization between writers and editors--all good, he had bigger and better things to do!
- •Finally decided I'd had enough and went to Grad School.
- •Internships--Before I was licensed, I had some awesome internships. I worked at the Height Ashbury Free Medical clinic seeing schizophrenics who lived in Golden Gate Park, I worked at an AIDS clinic doing neuropsych evaluations, and I worked in-patient￼ at a great psych hospital. Excellent training opportunities and very valuable pre- and postdoctoral placements