BEST GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH COMBINATIONS
A 💾 worthy list. Spread the love and add your own amazing grilled cheese combination that people need to try. Vegans, we love you too, enjoy most of these with your favourite alternative (Daiya, nut milk cheeses...options are endless).
- •GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH WITH DATESMost cheeses will work here, so pick your favourite, add it to your bread, then flatten 1-2 pitted medjool dates in your hand and place it over the cheese. Cover with your second slice and grill to perfection. Seriously, you've got to try this. I used to love it with cheddar, swiss or halloumi, but I mostly make it with cheddar Daiya now. (You can also use a wrap here and fold over in half to grill with the ingredients inside, quesadilla style).
- •GRILLED HALLOUMI CHEESE WITH TOMATO AND BASILYou don't even need bread here, as halloumi grills and retains its shape (ah-mazing!). So here are the two options: either put it in bread with tomato and basil and grill, or grill the cheese on its own, then top it with some fresh tomato, fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil and enjoy the explosion of flavour in your mouth. Feel free to also add it to toast - makes an amazing appetizer.
- •Emmentaler with sweet and sour red onionsFrom Smitten Kitchen's cookbookSuggested by @ashlee
- •GRILLED GOAT CHEESE WITH STRAWBERRIES AND BALSAMICSlice baguette on the diagonal, lightly toast and spread with goat cheese. Place sliced strawberries on too and drizzle generously with balsamic. Sprinkle fresh basil on top. Also good with lavender honey. You can also grill sandwich or panini style.Suggested by @LizDawson
- •Hazelnut butter, Honey, Gorgonzola and Gouda grilled cheeseI tasted this at the Pebble Beach Food & Wine event a few years ago paired with a lovely ice wine. It was the last "dessert" sandwich in a four-course grilled cheese sandwich tasting and wine pairing session. So good! I believe the recipe can be found in the cookbook Grilled Cheese Please, 50 Scrumptious Cheesy Recipes by Laura Werlin (who also lead the session). Worth checking out.Suggested by @eatthelove
- •Smoked blue and smoked Gouda with sliced pineapple and basil pestoSuggested by @shelly
- •I like to keep it very simple: aged sharp cheddar and thinly sliced green apple 🍏 on sourdough walnut bread.🍞Suggested by @molliekatzen
- •Turkey Brie & apple! 🍗🍏🍎🧀Suggested by @KISERO
- •Grilled American with tomato, pickle and wavy Lay's potato chips on white bread (@sarahrberry 's suggestion)