HOW TO MAKE LIP BALM
Super easy, super awesome. Stick with me, pal, I'll show you the ways of the world.
- 1.Your base is one part butter (e.g. Shea), one part oil (e.g. Coconut) and one part shredded beeswax (or beeswax pastilles to avoid shredding). Your base is all you really need, and once you have that down, you can get creative
- 2.You will also need a double boiler or a mason jar, an essential oil of your choice (or vanilla extract) and some empty lip balm tubes
- 3.Throw 1 tablespoon Shea butter, 1 tablespoon coconut oil and 1 tablespoon shredded beeswax into a double boiler or a mason jar (this will make 6 tubes)If you're using a double boiler, heat up water in the bottom portion and add your ingredients to the top. Mix it around over the stove until it melts. If you're using a mason jar, add the jar to a pot. Add some water to the pot (but make sure none get into your jar, slowly heat up until the ingredients in your jar melt. Do not place the jar in already boiling water in the pot, because it will crack. Trust me, from experience.
- 4.Heat until all the beeswax, Shea and coconut oil melt into one (how beautiful is that? Any songwriters here want to turn this into the next hit single?)
- 5.Remove from heat, but keep the jar in the pot or double boiler together to keep everything melted. This is where you add your 'flava' and jazz things up a bit. Put in 10 drops of your favorite essential oil (peppermint, lavender, orange) or 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (or vanilla and orange oil to make a creamsicle!)
- 6.Use a dropper to put the solution into your lip balm jars, and let them cool for a few hours (or put them in the fridge if you're as impatient as I am)
- 7.Put a custom label or sticker on these, and voila
- 8.Okay, now that we have basics covered, let's talk extrasYou can play around with this recipe. Want a softer balm? Use half the amount of beeswax. Want a firmer balm? Add more beeswax. You can use any combination of butter and oil. For instance, use a cocoa butter instead of Shea. Throw some babbasu in there for a rich, exotic lip balm. Use some almond oil or olive oil in place of the coconut (but these are already liquid, so throw them in to the mix after you remove it from the heat). Enjoy!
- 9.Join me next week when I list how to make your own cookie dough sugar scrub. Perfect holiday gift!