IN THE WORDS OF JANE ELLIOTT
I'm paraphrasing a little, but this got to me. She's saying this to an auditorium filled with white people.
- •I want every white person in this room,
- •Who would be happy to be treated
- •As this society in general treats our black citizens,
- •Please stand up!
- •[No one stands up]
- •You didn't understand the directions.
- •If you white folks want to be treated the way blacks are in this society,
- •Please stand!
- •[No one moves]
- •Nobody is standing here!
- •That says very plainly
- •That you know what's happening.
- •You know you don't want it for you.
- •I want to know why
- •You are so willing to accept
- •Or to allow it to happen to others