QUESTIONS I GET ASKED IN THE US AS A NORWEGIAN
Real questions, real tears. I still love you Americans!
- •What [US] state is Norway in?I should say my American accent is pretty solid.
- •Where is Norwegia?Really?
- •Do you guys have the sun there?To be fair, certain parts of Norway is north of the arctic circle, so there's no daylight in the winter and no night-time in the summer. I explain I'm from more south in Norway and people are for some reason disappointed.
- •Isn't that like IKEA land?Me: IKEA is Swedish, but we do have them. They're all over the world. Her/Him: That's what I mean!
- •Don't you just LOOOOVE IKEA?!Actually, I do love the food court and the ice cream at the end. Reminds me of home and it's only place I can get one of my favorite chocolates (Daim).
- •Do you speak IKEA? (Mostly referring to the furniture names)Sometimes I say it's the official language of this small town in Sweden, and everyone in Scandinavia has to learn it because they produce a lot of IKEA stuff. Luckily, a lot of people do not believe me.
- •Do you have penguins?Other side of the planet my dear.
- •Do you have polar bears?On a Norwegian territory, yes. Just walking around in the streets, no.
- •Do you have reindeer?Yes, we do.
- •Have you seen Rudolph?Uhm, yes!
- •Omg, you're from Norway! Do you know [insert foreign sounding name]?!?I guess this one applies to a lot of places. It's weird to me, however, when it's just an European name as if everyone in Norway knows everyone in Germany.
- •Did you come here to raid a village and plunder?Suggested by @gilbaron