5 DOCUMENTARIES TO WATCH ON NETFLIX & HBO
These are some of the documentaries that you might scroll through (because there are a ton) or maybe you haven't gotten around to seeing them. Watch a doc, right now!
- •Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of BeliefThis one's on HBO and is pretty popular, but it's first on the list for a reason. Alex Gibney is an award-winning film maker who gives a crazy AMAZING look into Scientology, as told by former members. I have shamelessly watched this four times and will probably watch it again.
- •For the Bible Tells Me SoNetflix; a serious doc gem that provides so much insight into the direct correlation between homophobia and biblical literalists. You will cry and smile and be deep in thought throughout and after the beautifully done film.
- •Skinheads USA: Soldiers of the Race WarThis is an HBO doc from 1993, still relevant over twenty years later. The title gives away the overall focus of the film, but it is a truly disturbing exposé of the white power group in Alabama. It won't scare the shit out of you, but you will be like, "Woah, this is messed up, but I understand why these people are so messed up to begin with."
- •The Invisible WarI'm part of a Women and Gender Studies track at school, and I chose to watch this as my mandatory documentary last year. It is not fine holiday fun for the whole family. It is a mere peek into rape and abuse of both women and men who serve in the military. It's something that nobody could ever want to relive, yet brave vets tell their personal experiences to show a serious systematic problem, not isolate instances of sexual violence.
- •The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert DurstHOLY SHIT. Not a film, a short doc series. Holy shit.