Why I will not tip you if you suck.
While I respect most workers and generally tip, I will never feel bad for failing to do so. You don't have to agree, but stop being so shocked when I walk out without leaving a few dollars on the table.
- 1.I did not hire the you.Who a restaurant decides to hire is not my concern. However, I have to deal with it regardless. I may choose where I eat, not who serves me. I therefore have no control over quality and will not tip lousy service.
- 2.I am not the one who underpays you.It is in no way my fault for your low wages. I will not feel guilt for the fact that you can not make a living.
- 3.If you make under minimum wage it is your fault.Sure, you may make $1.50 an hour before tips. But there are laws in place that make it illegal to not pay you at least minimum after tips. If you are being underpaid it is because of your ignorance of the law, or your fear to do something about it.
- 4.I am in no way stealing from you.Any argument against this will come down to the idea that your time and effort was not worth the money you were paid for it. I resort back to #2 for my argument.
- 5.History is on my side on this one.Just look this one up yourself. Tipping historically has been seen as a standoffish gesture and has even been illegal in some areas.
- 6.I didn't make you work there.If you don't like your payment. Find a new job, or better yet, work harder and get a promotion or an education. Now before you tell me: "That's easier said than done. Work is impossible to find." Please just consider that you're not the only person who has lived in our economy. I've been there too. There are options if you put in the work to find them.
- 7.Tipping is confusing and constantly changing.For real. 10%? 15? 20? 25? Do I tip if there's already an extra fee on the bill? Do I tip the waiter or waitress with cash, or do I add it to my check? Who decides these things anyway?
- 8.I'm broke too.By giving you my money I'm saying that you need it more than me. How do you know it's not the other way around?
- 9.Finally: it is not my job to take care of you.It sucks that you can not pay rent, or even buy food. Honestly, that's is not something I wish on anyone. But in absolutely no way, are you and your life my responsibility. There are millions of people who could use my help; people and children who can't even work and don't make nearly what you do. So please, please stop feeling sorry for yourself. Because I do not feel sorry for you.
- 10.BONUS STORYMr. Bear needed his cave cleaned before winter. So he hired a beaver for 1,000 acorns to do the job. Now clever Mr. Beaver hired four rabbits for 200 acorns each to do part of the job for him. After the rabbits were done they wanted more money, even though they were already paid. Mr. Beaver refused. The rabbits then went to Mr. Bear to ask for more money. Mr. Bear was confused because he did not hire these bunnies. So he ate them before they posted mean things on social media. THE END.