COMMON FOOD MISNOMERS EXPLAINED
Sorry friends, but we have a few things wrong when it comes to naming our food.
- 1.French Toast ISN'T French at all.The popular breakfast dish dates back to medieval Europe in Spain and Germany. The French call it "pain perdu" (lost bread).
- 2.White chocolate...isn't chocolate.White chocolate does not contain cocoa solids which is the primary component of chocolate liquor.
- 3.German Chocolate Cake is an American creation.It was created in America by a man with the last name “German” in 1852.
- 4.Head cheese is actually meat.You won't find any dairy here. Head cheese is meat from a pig's head often served as a jelly.
- 5.Sweetbreads and sweet bread are different.Sweetbreads (one word) are the pancreas of a calf or lamb, whereas sweet bread (two words) is a sweet Portuguese bread.
- 6.Rocky Mountains Oysters are bull testicles.Don't expect to see this dish at a seafood restaurant.