Already on li.st? Open in app.
- •"We are not a small island country. We are a big ocean country." -Tony deBrum from http://cnn.it/1g2IzLq
- •"American arrogance and American generosity collide here, and paradox reigns." http://wapo.st/1PJU5LF
- •"I’m the oldest — I can’t leave my parents. But I don’t want my kids to drown here.” -Linber Anej from http://nyti.ms/1Ow9LR6
How do you capture an entire year in just a few photos? You don't. But here are 7 from my year+ spent in the Republic of the Marshall Islands—an amazingly beautiful place with a scarred past and precarious future.
- •Taken from the plane flying in to Majuro on 7/31/06. Where the hell will we land?! I had no idea what to expect for the year ahead; but, damn, what a beautiful greeting.
- •Oh, ok... that's where we land. At the "airport," of course. Actually, this is a shot of the landing strip on Likiep, an outer island where I spent a few week in March, 2007.
- •The most gracious Joe deBrum. Joe showed me around Likiep and treated me like royalty (which he sort of is, seriously: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debrum_House). So much incredible history on this tiny island.