COMIC BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NON-COMIC BOOK READERS
All of these are current, ongoing comic books that you can easily catch up on in a few issues (like a fun Netflix binge, no intimidating decades of canon that makes no sense, lorded over by exclusionary nerds), mainly non-superhero stuff, and beautiful stories that everyone should be reading! Lots of spooky stuff just in time for Fall.
- •If you love THE WITCH and GRAPES OF WRATHHARROW COUNTY. Southern Gothic rural occultism, gorgeous watercolors, myth and legend and roots.
- •If you love STRANGER THINGSPAPER GIRLS. 80's, sci-fi, Abrams-esque mystery, cool girls on bikes with field hockey sticks chainsmoking. Incredible colors.
- •If you love ZOMBIES and A CHILDHOOD-RUINERAFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE. Straight horror/zombie apocalypse take on the Archie comics world, often heartbreaking. Insanely lovely artwork.
- •If you work in THE FILM INDUSTRYTHE AUTEUR. Ed Wood by way of Hunter S. Thompson. A drug-fueled, exploitationist satire that makes Tarantino feel tame. Beautiful insights into writing and filmmaking, soaked in blood and drugs and studio notes.
- •If you love EXISTENTIAL CRISES and THE APPLE STOREINJECTION. Complex and more of an intellectual puzzle than PAPER GIRLS. But beautiful and special.
- •If you love HALLOWEEN and MELISSA JOAN HARTCHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA. Another horror riff on the Archie world, but unrelated to Afterlife. A spooky 60's occult story that is so preposterously pretty to look at, it's unfair.
- •If you love COP SHOWS and THE RINGBLACK MAGICK. Detective procedural with an occult spin, insanely well illustrated in black and white with pops of color. Not a ton of issues, but more (and a tv series) on the way.