WILL LOUISIANA'S NEW GOVERNOR SPEND POLITICAL CAPITAL GOING AFTER K-12 REFORM?
You can read the full story over at The Seventy-Four: http://pcook.me/yjyP
- •Pro-union, anti-reform Democrat John Bel Edwards defeated U.S. Senator David Vitter on Saturday
- •Edwards captured 56% of the vote, making him the first Democrat elected to statewide office since 2008
- •Education reformers have viewed him with some trepidation; he has backed anti-charter legislation, opposed Common Core, and is seen as a strong ally of the teachers unions
- •Edwards has also stated he would seek to replace State Superintendent John White if elected
- •However pro-reform candidates won seven out of eight elected seats on the board meaning he faces an uphill battle to remove White