5 Funniest Dog Breeds in the World
Let’s face it — there are some very strange and weird-looking dogs out there. So, what are the funniest dog breeds? Here’s my own completely biased list of the top 10. -Dave
- •PuliLook at those dreadlocks. The Puli looks like some sort of twisted, animatronic dirty mop. The Puli is a Hungarian herder whose tight curls make it virtually waterproof. It is similar to the much larger Komondor. These dogs are fast and agile, headstrong and loyal. And funny-looking. More about the Puli: http://www.petful.com/breeds/profile-puli/
- •Chinese CrestedYou’ve probably seen some head-turning Chinese cresteds in the infamous “ugly dog” contests held every year. Some of these dogs sport mohawks. Others look like Robert Smith from The Cure. To be fair, the crested pictured above is on the, um, “very ugly” end of the spectrum. The breed standard is much more presentable than shown here. More about the Chinese crested: http://www.petful.com/breeds/chinese-crested-breed-profile/
- •BergamascoComing in at third is another mop dog, similar to the Pulis and Komondors. Actually, the Bergamasco shepherd is a sheepdog, with an unusual matted coat. Colors of the coat range from gray or silver gray to brown and black; this coloration probably served as camouflage in the Italian Alps, where this pooch originated. More about the Bergamasco: http://www.petful.com/breeds/breed-profile-bergamasco/
- •XoloitzcuintliThis Mexican hairless breed is not only funny looking; it’s also quite rare. Not to mention, I am a klutz when it comes to pronouncing the name (something like “SHO-lo-eets-KWEENT-lee” probably gets close). These lovable pups were considered sacred by the Aztecs, Toltecs and Mayans and were thought to have healing properties. Be sure to check out our Xolo photo gallery! http://www.petful.com/breeds/xoloitzcuintli-photos-mexican-hairless-dog-slideshow/
- •Neapolitan MastiffDon’t let the saggy face fool you, though; the Neapolitan mastiff is fearless, and supposedly fought alongside Roman Legions (sporting spiked leather harnesses that disemboweled the bellies of enemy horses!). They’re large and powerful and don’t seem to know their own strength. Chuckle at your own risk. There are 5 more dogs on this list over at Petful! Go to http://www.petful.com/funny/funniest-dog-breeds-photos-weird/ to see the rest.