Things I Wish Someone Had Warned Me About Before I Wrote an Autobiography
It was still worth it, though.
- •Negative reviews are a bitch
- •You'll accidentally piss off a friend for mentioning them in a way they didn't like
- •You'll accidentally piss off a friend for leaving them out
- •Strangers suddenly know you very well, and don't realize that you don't know them...
- •...Sometimes you'll get an email with their own life story
- •Like a Rorschach test, people will see what they're looking for and make interpretations you never intended...
- •...sometimes they'll act on that and hold you accountableSomehow I inspired one guy to drop out of high school to become a pro cyclist.
- •You'll be constantly misquoted.
- •Someone will skim it, find one sentence that seems offensive out of context, and then tweet what an asshole you areThey'll also write a bad review
- •Old memories can make you cry when you write them down
- •You'll save a ton of money on therapy after all that introspection and catharsis