The Story Of The Refrigerator Box, Or Why I'm Weird
This is absolutely true.
- •When I was about 11 or 12 years old my parents bought a new refrigerator. It came in a box. A big box. Like, big enough to hold a refrigerator.Not this particular box, but like this.
- •My parents let me have the box and I'm telling you, it was huge, and I was excited.
- •I managed to get my mattress off my bed, slung the box up there on the frame, taped the whole thing back up and laid it down on its side.
- •Next I took a knife and cut a lid out of the side, which was now the new top, since it's laying on its side. Does that make sense?
- •Then I managed, somehow, to get my mattress inside the box.I said it was huge!
- •Then I put sheets and blankets back on the mattress and fixed the "lid" so that it could open but wouldn't close down into the box, and I added a handle.
- •Then I cut a small window up near the pillow, openable from the inside, but closable.
- •And then I slept in it.
- •For months.
- •In retrospect, I basically slept in a homemade coffin. For months.
- •What must my parents have thought?
- •What did my friends think?
- •I thought it was the coolest thing ever and was super sad when my mom made me take it apart and start sleeping like a normal child again.