THE BEST EPISODES OF THE U.S. OFFICE, RANKED
it's hard to pick favorites but these are the very best in my infinitely wise opinion. also honestly the top 4 are really tied i don't think i could choose an Ultimate Favorite out of them if my life was on the line. (this whole list makes me sound so pretentious, which i am, but i am sorry anyway)
- •grief counseling (3.4)oh, grief counseling, how do i love thee? let me count the ways. pam is actually given a good storyline outside of her relationship with jim (an overall reason i really enjoyed season 3); michael discussing the five stages of grief; the whole movie-deaths game; the goddamned bird funeral!! plus, as i'll discuss later, any storyline where karen is highlighted (even if it's just a ploy to make everyone hate her, groan!!!) is automatically good in my book.
- •dinner party (4.13)i shouldn't even have to explain this one because it's already widely considered to be the best. every joke is intentional and memorable, and after seeing it probably 20+ times it is still both hilarious and so uncomfortable to watch. also all of angela's lines/actions made me like her significantly more than before. "what am i supposed to do with this?"
- •the injury (2.12)"okay ryan so are all the top episodes just going to be ones everybody agrees are the best" no! it's just! the injury! is so great! it is the only episode i have entirely memorized, and it wasn't even intentional; it's just because practically every line is a work of art. this is the episode i recommend showing to someone to introduce them to the office. ok see you later pan
- •stress relief part 1 (5.14)this episode contains probably the two best scenes in the entirety of the show: the cold open, in which dwight stages a fire and chaos ensues ("the fire is shooting at us!"), and the cpr training scene ("no, rose, they are not breathing. and they have no arms or legs"). oh my god i'm laughing about it as i write this. another i'd highly recommend showing a newcomer to the series. (also, i have no beef with part 2, it's just that part 1 deserves its own special recognition)
- •the michael scott paper company arc (5.22-5.25)it was just so different and well-executed and it's impossible to pick a single episode out of that storyline so my answer is all of the episodes. (but actually if i Had to pick a favorite it would be dream team because michael and pam friendship forever)
- •conflict resolution (2.21)i don't know i just feel like this episode is truly what the office is about - michael genuinely trying to help and ruining everything. also, creed's complaint about the bathroom being "whites only" is gold and yes ok it is the main reason i put this one on the list. creed is the best character in the office fight me
- •beach games (3.23)because sumo suit stanley and andy. also i enjoy seeing characters who don't interact very often being forced to (sorta) work together
- •the dundies (2.1)because drunk pam
- •diwali (3.6)this is such a fun episode, and i always love being made uncomfortable by michael's inability to grasp basic social concepts (the exception to this rule being scott's tots, but we won't discuss that). also, for some reason this list is making it seem like i'm a huge pam fan, but i actually like karen a lot more (as a person, not as a love interest for jim. but yeah also that too) and it's always nice to see her get a bigger role in an episode.
- •dunder mifflin infinity (4.3-4.4)i know, i Know it was unrealistic for michael to drive his car into the lake but i love it so much and you can't take it away from me
- •the deposition (4.12)this one is on here because it just hurts my lil heart so much. never has an episode made me empathize with michael so much. my poor easily manipulated regional manager
- •honorable mentionsepisodes that are near and dear to me but i don't feel like writing about: the fire (2.4), the client (2.7), initiation (3.5), a benihana christmas (3.10-3.11), the surplus (5.10), threat level midnight (7.17)