L O G A N
I loved Logan. I thought it was grim, brutal, beautiful and nearly perfect. Well cast, acted, written, shot and with great design. A little bit Children of Men (Children of X-Men?), a little bit Mad Max, a little bit Shane. Here are some of my favorite details, large and very small.
- •When Logan puts on reading glasses with the tag still hanging from them.
- •Logan's vaguely futuristic limo and the crazy car chases it lumbers through.When it drags that fence around, it's so mad max.
- •Stephen Merchant as Caliban. All of it.
- •Charles' amazing tank room - reminiscent of Cerebro, and his sad little gardening table.
- •The R rating - worth it not for all the brutal claws through heads, but just to hear Charles finally, finally get to say Fuck.
- •Pierce - gold tooth, neck tattoo, drawl. check, check, check.
- •The Liberty motel signage - both the beautiful neon and the gold lady over the office sign.
- •How one of Logan's claws won't extend all the way. When he manually pulls it out, the pain is palpable.
- •The wistful father daughter cowboy display in the casino.
- •When Charles and Laura watch Shane together in the hotel room, and the way it sticks with the very observant Laura and comes back to her later.
- •The idyllic golden wide shot of the family farm house as they sit down for dinner.
- •When Logan offers Charles the remote.
- •The score.this amazing atmospheric sci fi / country mash up.
- •Logan's deterioration, from the amazing sfx makeup to Jackman's great grizzled performance, to his heart wrenching statement to Laura: "I am Fucked Up."
- •When the kids trim Logan's beard. Such a lost boys moment.
- •When Laura turns the cross sideways into an X.
- •Johnny Cash.