THINGS TO DO
One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Comfort yourself with the best and truest expressions of sadness, anger, hope or joy in combination. Remind yourself about beauty and compassion, complexity and kindness.
- •i've been crying a lot. it's not what i prefer to do or expected to do, but i'm doing it.I feel betrayed by my fellow humans. I feel scared for the future of our planet in the face of aggressive and willful ignorance. I feel scared for the refugees we as a country could help but won't, and the citizens we as a country should let live peacefully among us but won't. I grieve for the blatant and violent death of compassion. but here are some things that are comforting me.
- •listen to some Leonard Cohen. the new stuff, which is like the old stuff, still angry, but somehow peaceful too. In a recent (wonderful) New Yorker article about the newest album, Bob Dylan says Cohen is "connected to some celestial sphere." That clarity of emotion.If you are the dealer, I'm out of the game / If you are the healer, it means I'm broken and lame / If thine is the glory / then mine must be the shame / You want it darker / We kill the flame 🔥
- •read this poem. this poem is going viral on twitter. i love the idea of a poem going viral on twitter. and it makes me cry every time i read it, which so far is about 47 times.
- •watch a beautiful movie that makes you cry.I recommend American Honey, for its honest and beautiful portrayal of middle america. it feels so far away from this election, yet so close. today i also watched bright star and spirited away, both beautiful favorites that allowed for weeping about something other than the dangerous future.
- •find rallying cries:"I gave up nice a long time ago. Nice did me no good as a woman. Niceness is a lie they teach you to keep you sweet and compliant while you’re screaming inside. You know what I picked instead? Kindness. I chose to be kind. Kind means I respect your boundaries and you respect mine." - Sarah Benincasa
- •give money to planned parenthood and the aclu.they're gonna need it.
- •tell the people you love that you love them.find a way to answer your little brother when he asks have you lost all faith in humanity? and your little sister when she asks well goddamit, what are we going to do about it?
- •i just got back from italy on monday and i was excited to make a list about the things i saw, but it doesn't feel very relevant right now. but here is this grave guarding cat, in perhaps the most beautiful cemetery in the world, where john keats is buried, and where it rained on me and my best friend and i felt peaceful.