I AM STARTING TO UNDERSTAND
On racism. Tonight when I was flying home I overheard a story that hit me like a brick and I think I made a connection I had been missing before. As a disclaimer: I am repeating this story just to explain the lesson it taught me and I truly hope my posting it doesn't offend (the story itself on the other hand should probably make you mad)
- •A (white) woman sitting near me on the plane tonight was very loud. She was telling a story about her "very best friend ever" which was at first only mildly annoying just because of her volume
- •It soon took a turn
- •She mentioned that her friend "was like the blackest white girl ever"Due to the music she listens to, which honestly was described in a more bigoted way than I can bring myself to repeat
- •And that "even her boyfriend is black"
- •"but he's like really nice and chill and comes from a good family"
- •The rest of the story is really irrelevantIt wasn't much better and you get the point
- •I am embarrassed
- •I am sorry
- •I didn't realizeI think I am starting to realize
- •I am beginning to see how some people are so ignorant that it could make an entire race look ignorant
- •I always wanted to believe that people were better than this
- •I'm ashamed