things to do if you run out of spoons
if you don't know the spoon metaphor, google it! I've found it really helpful in articulating my own mental health stuff ✌🏼
- 1.focus on your body. tense your muscles and then release them. make funny faces. wiggle.I think there's science about this making people less stressed, probably
- 2.close your eyes for as long as you need and imagine what you'd most like to be doingmy go-tos are skiing, sailing, reading, & painting, in case you need a jumping off place for your own ideas
- 3.drink water! it can hardly hurt to hydrate.because really... have you had enough to drink today? yeah, me neither
- 4.talk to or message someone who you care about & who cares about you & can lift you upmy guitar teacher from before I moved and I have had several conversations initiated because I just need a reminder that someone really really really believes in me & my ability to be ok (which he totally does)
- 5.scroll through Pinterest. focus on building up one or two boards at a time.I use Pinterest to make character/media mood boards and working intensely on one at a time is really soothing for me
- 6.write a really detailed description of something. it can be anything, just use lots of nice adjectives and adverbslike 'grotesque' or 'dreamily' or 'pulchritudinous'
- 7.watch a video of someone talking about something they're really passionate aboutthis works really well for me; watching people get excited about things they love is one of the most uplifting things in the world
- 8.silently try to recite all the way through a song or poem you loveit focuses you on just one things, giving the rest of your body/mind some time to recuperate and/or relax
- 9.or try counting things that there are a lot of around youlike shoes, floor/ceiling tiles, cars, cups and etc. again, it's that focusing thing.