I WAS ANGRY FOR AGES AND NOW I'M NOT: 10 THINGS I'VE LEARNT
This is more of a diary entry than advice, ready to preserve and remind myself next time I am in a prolonged period of grumpiness.
- 1.The angst and emotions of a 15 year old girl are just as valid as everyone else's feelings.Just as irrational emotion and anger is justified as well. Sometimes you just need to be allowed to be sad.
- 2.I don't think it's possible, as a girl, to never once hate your mother.
- 3.I also think it's impossible not to see yourself turning into your mother.Yes: even at 17. Yes: I think 2 +3 are very interconnected.
- 4.It helps to talk to people.This is so obvious, but the hurdle I fell at the most. In trying to maintain my image of utter chillness, I didn't let people know how much I was hurting.
- 5.No matter how relaxed you think you are, you can not predict how you will react to parents separating.
- 6.You will probably pick a side in the said divorce. You may pick the wrong side. But you have to be picking sides at all age 14.
- 7.You are not the only protagonist.Each person's is their own leader of their story, and whilst you might rely on them, they have no idea what they're doing either.
- 8.Laughing and routine helps.Not necessarily with other humans. Turn on the office, watch a rom-com, listen to a podcast. Do this on a weekly basis.
- 9.Making new friends helps.No matter how great your current friends are during a tough time, in making new friends you can rewrite history a bit, and get a new start.
- 10.Don't get too caught up in your own brain.It knows your weaknesses better than anyone, is happy to knock you down, and is pretty rubbish at considering others' thoughts and feelings if you get too deep.