IN MEMORY OF HARPER LEE: MY TOP 10 FAVOURITE QUOTES
Harper Lee has been always been my favourite living idol. I aspire to write one great novel that changes the world, and then never do anything again, making my visitors call the book "it" in my presence. Despite my circumstances differing so entirely with Scout, I identify and empathise so strongly with her, and that's all down to Harpers' writing.
- •"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."Heck yeah.
- •"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."This quote makes the hair hiss out of my lungs with a gasp.
- •"Atticus, he was real nice." "Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them."Just a nice little reminder for me, both not to judge and also to write more beautifully.
- •"As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it - whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash."Sadly, this is just as applicable today...
- •"With him, life was routine, without him, life was unbearable."I think this every time I go home and have to leave my friends behind.
- •"Things are always better in the morning"Undoubtedly true.
- •"Any writer worth his salt writes to please himself... It's a self-exploratory operation that is endless."So nicely put, so concise, so accurate.
- •"The one place where a man ought to get a square deal is in a courtroom, be he any colour of the rainbow.Harper Lee knew what was up 60 years ago. How come we still haven't gotten this?
- •"The time your friends need you is when they're wrong, Jean Louise. They don't need you when they're right."A note to always be there for my people.
- •"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow."Finally, the quote that started it all.