WHERE ARE YOU FROM?
How do you answer this question when people you've just met ask? It feels like a safe question and has lots of potential for expansion so I get the popularity but no matter how many times people ask I'm unsure.
- •Upstate NY -> WV -> NashvilleI usually pick from one of these options and see where they're from before expanding and constantly make the joke "I just keep inching my way to better weather" like it's not TERRIBLE. Human interaction is hard
- •Cincinnati. Easy when people have never been here, but if they are familiar then I jump into a discussion of my suburb and how our mailing address is one town and our school district and tax district is another and it's not really an interesting story but I awkward my way through it every time. 😬Suggested by @jennifergster
- •Anaheim - -> Bay Area - -> NorCalVagueness varies on how superficial the convo is likely to be. For instance, though technically I grew up in Orange, CA, everyone has heard of Anaheim cuz Disneyland. Bay Area people are proud of their area, again I lived in the East Bay so tailor the specificity to the audience. And if I say Eureka, Ca, inevitably they say, Is that near San Francisco? 😐 I can make this a short statement or go on for days #pointlesssmalltalkSuggested by @angela3950
- •"a little town between Sacramento & Antioch on the river" versus Sacramentoit really depends on the context. whenever I get asked at work, I usually say Sac because the question is usually geared toward where I used to work before. but I grew up in the little town. 🤓Suggested by @victralala
- •Idaho.Nobody knows why I keep mispronouncing Iowa.Suggested by @Charlie_Chester
- •Mesa, ArizonaBorn in Scottsdale, but I've lived in Mesa for 15 years.Suggested by @sarahmccoy
- •Bethesda, MarylandI was born in Silver Spring and lived in New Carrollton for the first 18 months of my life, but I don't remember it.Suggested by @lexie_elyse
- •Minnesota originally; Ohio currently.Those are two states that people are usually unfamiliar with, so giving them the name of a city is usually pointless. If they ask for more details, then I add Indiana, Hawaii, and Virginia to the mix just to fuck with them.Suggested by @colls39
- •San Diego ->Tucson/Scottsdale->SoCal->NorCalSuggested by @cvlop61
- •Oak Park, Illinois(represent!)Suggested by @francium