pleasant things to think about when sleep is elusive
- •The Edward Lear poem, "The Jumblies"
- •("they went to sea in a sieve, they did.")
- •The unbelievably filthy limericks of Norman Douglas
- •(completely unrepeatable)
- •William Beckford's novel, Vathek, would make a fantastic movie except that it is more or less a bible of orientalism
- •Edward Gibbon's scornful phrase, "Oriental luxury and baths"
- •You wouldn't think an 18th-c. Englishman with a hydrocele could be that much like Tacitus, but he really was