pleasant things to think about when sleep is elusive
- 1.The Edward Lear poem, "The Jumblies"
- 2.("they went to sea in a sieve, they did.")
- 3.The unbelievably filthy limericks of Norman Douglas
- 4.(completely unrepeatable)
- 5.William Beckford's novel, Vathek, would make a fantastic movie except that it is more or less a bible of orientalism
- 6.Edward Gibbon's scornful phrase, "Oriental luxury and baths"
- 7.You wouldn't think an 18th-c. Englishman with a hydrocele could be that much like Tacitus, but he really was