Things I've Learned in the First Year of Marriage
His second marriage, my first; we're in our 40s; we have full custody of his two teen girls; we have a dog who's jealous of the puppy we adopted this weekend.
- •People aren't kidding when they say "marriage takes work".But as much as I didn't understand it before, I can't explain it now.
- •It's important to know how you like to receive love.We both prefer acts of kindness. I make sinker matzo balls for him and he surprises me by filling my tank with gas (not a euphemism).
- •It's odd to have gone from doing everything yourself to having someone handle responsibilities WITH you.I feel simultaneously secure and out of touch.
- •Running errands together on Saturday night isn't sexy but it sure is lovely.
- •Headphones are mandatory.So he can fall asleep watching tv and I can simply fall asleep.
- •Being temperature compatible is a glorious, comfortable bonus.