Ways I Am Technologically Unevolved
Call me Amish, but there are certain old fashioned ways I want to hold onto. I once swore in college (1994) that I would never use computers, that they were the end to interpersonal communication. Well, we see how that worked out.
- •I prefer a kitchen timer to using my phone when I cook.Something about that bell...
- •I refuse to do anything other than "like" something on Facebook."React"?? No thank you.
- •I prefer the old paper and a pencil to make a list.Um, sorry guys. Don't shoot! Doesn't stop me here though!
- •It took me a loooong time to get a cell phone, and then I refused to text for years after.What am I, seventy? (No, I'm not, those of you who don't know me ie everyone here)
- •Records > streaming > mp3sNo substitute for the crackle, the large album cover, the liner notes, even having to flip that shit over is a superior experience. And colored vinyl?? Oh my.
- •I use my head to calculate numbers rather than a calculator, when I can.I'm not talking "a beautiful mind" type calculations, or those amazing school girls in India (!) just your average addition that comes up on a day to day basis.
- •When I got an electric toothbrush for Christmas once, it stayed in its package for a year before I tried it.I mean, what's wrong with the manual brush? As my brother says, "that's my daily exercise!" But now I swear by the electric. Feels like I just got a dental cleaning.
- •Handwriting vs. typingOne of my favorite authors and cartoonists, Lynda Barry, has great things to say on the subject of handwriting and how important the experience of using a pen and paper is to brain function and creativity. And kids aren't learning to write or read cursive these days. This terrifies me!!
- •I still write checks.Maybe it's me living out my 6 yr old fantasy of being an adult, but I feel way more accomplished after cutting a check to pay bills than paying online.
- •Kindle is the enemy.Nothing like turning an actual page...
- •I am a dinosaur.