COCONUT IN THE KITCHEN
I'm addicted to coconut water (really coconut-anything) when a juice bar opened up and started selling coconut shakes for $14 I became broke fast and needed an alternative. I'm food-illiterate but decided to buy some coconuts. I learned how to open one in 5 min and wanted to share, for those addicted to the "other white meat" like me.
- 1.Start with one of these bad boysI buy organic and each one is about $3 a piece. Looks pretty funky sitting in my fridge...great conversation starter.
- 2.Turn the coconut on its side and start shaving off the top husk until you get to the hard "shell" underneathI do it inside a bag on my countertop for super easy cleanup. Yea, I'm lazy
- 3.It should look bald like this...then you're ready to start crackin'
- 4.Take the butt of your knife and slam it into the three lines that you see on the coconut's topNow remember I'm no food expert so I have no clue if these are the technical terms, it's just what I do and it works :)
- 5.The top will crack and come right offThis will give you the feeling of a great sense of accomplishment
- 6.Enjoy fresh coconut water (and meat!)Preferably with pink straw