THE NIGHT WE MET
Circa 5.11.2016, when I first began this as a diary format-type of list.
- •He begs me to meet him so he can buy me soup and cheer me up.I strongly resist, but after hours he wears me down.
- •He is chivalrous.Opening doors, paying for dinner, all of that typical stuff, but it's much more than that; he is unfailingly kind when I am too nervous to even get out of my car; instead he climbs in beside me and patiently talks me down a little until I am ready to step out.
- •He listens to everything I have to say before genuinely responding.I prattle on for ages but he remains attentive throughout the whole soliloquy.
- •He is compassionate.As we walk the streets after dinner, we pass an older gentlemen who asks if he can use my phone. He explains that he is a veteran and has just learned he has cancer. He needs to call his daughter to tell her he is about to die; he needs to call a church to give him a ride. I am shocked, standing there open-mouthed and useless, but the boy immediately hands him his phone. While the man is on the phone, this boy digs out his wallet and hands the man a $5 bill, all the cash he has inside.
- •We walk around downtown for three hours and I kind of rant about a date from the night before, the first date of my whole life, with a guy who seemed great for two months but ended up making me feel like an undesirable slug, which amplified my insecurity about everything I am.That should probably be a list in and of itself.
- •We talk about everything under the sun, from Marvel to pets to my religious beliefs; he tells me he is okay with moving slowly and my personal choices about sex.This is a big one, especially in modern society. No one wants to wait for anything, especially if it's something that brings pleasure. It means a lot that he doesn't balk when I spell out my convictions for him.
- •I ask if it's okay if I hold his arm to keep me steady as we walk; he says he doesn't mind at all.I'm still jittery and nervous but our strides match up and for some reason it helps me keep my head a little.
- •Each time I pull my arm out of his to walk away and look at something, there's an instant when his palm slides lightly against mine.I swear I can feel him resisting the urge to close his fingers around my hand.
- •He gives the best hugs.When he hugs me goodbye I bury my face in his chest and he tells me I can stay there as long as I want.
- •He texts me as soon as he gets home after a lovely evening instead of following the irksome "three days" rule, thanking me for meeting him and telling me he had a great night.And the rest is history.
- •Tonight we revisited the restaurant where we ate that night.