THINGS THAT INEVITABLY SHOW UP IN MY WRITING
I found the laptop I used during college. Despite cringing at reading old work, I went through the saved stories and everything else I've written recently. It's crazy how much your writing can change within a year and then stay the same for the next five and so on. More than a handful of the below are terribly cliché btw and I'm still cringing 🙈
- •Identity crisis
- •New Jersey
- •Difficult conversations during car ridesSo much tension, and the characters can't simply leave the room. An obvious choice, but freshman year Rachel thought this was genius.
- •Insightful reflection mid-flight or during subway commuteWow sooo original and nuanced, Rachel.
- •Koreanness vs AmericannessI definitely list and write about this too much, but it's what I know best.
- •FOBs and American-borns
- •Protagonist picking their American name; ditching their given ethnic name
- •Failing relationships
- •Interracial couples
- •Bodegas and bodega cats
- •Immigrant guilt
- •Religious guilt. Lots of it.