A Tough Conversation With My 1st Grader
Tears and ramblings edited out.
- •A: They taught us about a lockdown todayCrap. I should have talked to her about this sooner. I wish the school would have let me know about it first
- •A: I'm so confused about what actually happensThat's because your teachers don't want to scare you
- •Me: Did they explain to you what to do? Do you need help with the steps?
- •A: They said if even one person says "lockdown" that you should listen
- •A: After someone says lockdown we're supposed to go to our safety places
- •A: I just don't understand why there are safe and not safe places
- •A: Why would I need to hide?
- •*deep breaths*because there are children your age who have been shot and killed in a matter of seconds just a few hours drive from here, and your classroom is the first one you see when entering the school
- •Me: your school has things to keep you safe, but sometimes bad guys can get inHer doe eyes are staring right at me, and she's tic blinking again. She looks confused.
- •Me: Sometimes instead of helping, people want to hurt.And can kill. They can kill you and all your classmates in seconds. The girl knows this, she just chooses a life of unicorns and rainbows.
- •Me: So we have you hide to stay out of bad peoples' waysEquivalent to hiding under a desk waiting for a bomb to explode.
- •Me: To keep yourself safeHopefully. Oh dear Lord, the world is terrifying. I wish there was more I could do to keep her from harm, to keep her care free spirit
- •A: We're having a practice lockdown on FridayWell, she won't be sleeping soundly tonight.