GETTING TO KNOW A CITY
Being in a new city where you don't know anyone or anything can be intimidating. Here are some strategies that I use to familiarize myself with urban locations.
- •Follow a crowdIf there's a crowd of people, follow them. They're probably on their way to have a good time.
- •Train tacticGet off a random stop on the train, make a left, walk 2 blocks, make a right, walk one block, make another left, and go into whatever the 4th building is (this has been a problem for residential establishments. They don't always appreciate spontaneous company).
- •Scavenger hunt/dinnerGo around the city trying to find coins on the ground. Once You've gotten $0.55, you can take that right over to Jimmy Johns and get a loaf of day-old bread (this one is a LOT harder than it seems. No one drops coins anymore. Also, remember to look up from the ground every once in a while).
- •DirectionsYell directions at people even if they didn't ask for them
- •A new DunkinInstead of going to the same Dunkin Donuts that you always go to, just keep walking in any other direction until you find a different one (this can work with any food chain).