REASONS WHY FUN HOME DESERVES TO WIN BEST MUSICAL AT THE TONYS
- •It's greater than the sum of its parts.It's not just "the lesbian musical based on the graphic novel." It's a complex, layered, fully-realized piece constructed with extra care and inspired artistic vision.
- •The score is magical.Jeanine Tesori's melodies and motifs are genius, and Lisa Kron's lyrics are perfectly-matched with them to fully evoke the intricate emotional patterns of the endearing, flawed, conflicted characters onstage.
- •"Ring of Keys"This song alone deserves everything.
- •It doesn't pander or condescend.It approaches queer identity with a perceptive, critical, yet entirely humanizing eye.
- •It's a multiple character study that does justice to all of its subjects.The character of Alison, in triplicate, is a marvel, but so are the portrayals of the parents, especially Alison's troubled, striving father, Bruce.
- •It's truly unique.There simply hasn't been anything like this on Broadway -- not just because of its queer themes but because of its expert construction and musical resonance.
- •It provides once-in-a-lifetime roles for its actors.For starters (literally), Sydney Lucas is an eleven-year-old demigoddess of the stage.
- •It made me cry like a baby.And it'll do the same to you.