MY FIRST PET 🐤🐦
Inspired by @ListPrompts
- •When I was born, my parents had two birds.
- •My dad's yellow nape, Lefty...My dad acquired Lefty in the '70s from an ex-friend, who bought a parrot, decided he didn't like birds, and called my dad up one day and said "hey, if you want this damn bird, he's in a box in the alley behind my apartment." My dad said "fuck you," and went and retrieved his new best friend. He took him to a specialist who found lead in his system, and said he may not live very long. Here's an off-center pic of my dad and Lefty in the '80s.
- •And a rose breasted cockatoo named Rosie.My mom acquired a quite-young Rosie while I was a fetus, from an elderly acquaintance who passed away. Her family did not want a bird, and shoved it off on someone who already had one.
- •Lefty hated everyone but my dad, obviously.Lefty used to terrorize me, laughing maniacally while he waddled around the living room after me. He had a handful of phrases and sound effects, and he whistled Dixie.
- •We've had dogs and cats, a turtle and a budgie over the years, but if you really want a pet commitment, get a parrot.
- •Lefty died five years ago, at the relatively young age of 40-ish.It is likely that his early lead poisoning shortened his life.
- •Rosie lives with me.She speaks a handful of words, and, if you're lucky, she'll give you a kiss. Three years ago, she learned how to use the swing. Here she is, judging me.