Habits I've Recently Started
They ain't always easy...
- •Getting up earlyA year ago I would routinely stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning and get up at noon. Did that since high school. But I eventually got tired of it, and I think it did contribute to depressing days w/o sunlight. Over the course of this last year, it's been my mission to get up earlier. Some nights I slept on my couch to do this, but I'm happy to say I'm up before 7 on most days and 8 seems late. It is possible!
- •Morning routineThis flows nicely with the first habit. I used to check email and jump into work within five minutes of being awake. This isn't good for your mental state. Getting up earlier and having a morning routine allows me time to get myself together without worrying about obligations, and think about my main objectives for the day.
- •Drinking a gallon of water a dayI switched from soda and other calorie heavy beverages years ago. But lately I've been doing the ketogenic diet which requires a lot of water daily. So each morning I make a cup of coffee, fill up a pint glass with water, and also fill up a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle with water. I'm finished those by 12pm, and continue to hydrate all day. Winners drink water.
- •Reading MoreThis sounds crazy but getting the Amazon Kindle actually makes me read more than a physical book. For example, I can use one hand to turn pages, I can read in the dark, I can highlight passages from the book as a way to take notes. I always read blogs and articles on the computer but books are better because they are highly curated thoughts and advice from a reputable person. Sometimes articles are simply "listacles" with no personality.
- •Listening to PodcastsIf you don't like reading I'm a firm believer that podcasts are the second best option. And maybe even better because you don't need to take the time out to listen to a podcast... You can multitask and listen while you're in the car, doing laundry, going for a walk.