PBS PROGRAMS (RANKED)
Strictly Masterpiece. I'm not getting into that Nova/local programming ish. Some mini-series included.
- 1.Call the MidwifeLove. Feminism. Babies. Nuns. British. Need I go on?
- 3.Downton AbbeyI'm a Sybil.
- 4.The Bletchley CircleFormer WWII lady code breakers solve mysteries from their respectable British homes in the postwar years. The Imitation Game meets Agatha Christie.
- 5.PoldarkSolid romance. A little racy for PBS. Aidan Turner can get it.
- 6.CranfordJudy Dench, Imelda Staunton, and Simon Wood aka Mr. Bingley. Sweet and funny. Most memorable line: "My father was a man. I think I know the sex."
- 7.Death Comes to PemberlyGood. Matthew Goode.
- 8.North and SouthMore Elizabeth Gaskell (she also wrote Cranford). More England. More romance. "Look back; look back at me!" has never sounded so tortured.