MY CHILDHOOD IN SCOTLAND
- •I was born in Glasgow in 1970 at the Queen Mother's Hospital, which pretty much makes me royalty.
- •My dad was one of the founders of Scottish Opera and my mum was a teacher.That's me Da.
- •We lived in Hyndland, in the west end of Glasgow until we moved to the US in 1981.This is about a block from where we lived. Just down to the right is my favorite chippie and the R. S. McColl's where I shoplifted for the first time. Ah, memories.
- •Americans have a very romantic notion of life in Scotland, but for us, it wasn't that different from growing up in the states. We walked to school, we lived in a flat, we went to visit our grandparents every weekend. It was all I knew, so it didn't feel particularly remarkable to me.
- •Things I did not do growing up in Scotland: wear a kilt, play the bagpipes, live in a castle, see Nessie or eat haggis.
- •And, yes, if called to in the line of duty I can still do a wicked Glaswegian accent.