THINGS MY FATHER TAUGHT ME TO VALUE
- •Really good bread.Few things made him as happy as a perfect ciabatta.
- •Words.Their sanctity, their power, their delight.
- •Wit.From Oscar Wilde quotes to fart jokes.
- •Reading.Never a shortage of books in our household.
- •Good table manners.Which is really just a respectful way of being in the world.
- •The staggering and simple beauty of flowers.A cheery vase of sunflowers, a spray of pink dogwoods.
- •A flair for the dramatic in all things.Be it a film, an opera, or a candlelit dinner party at the bottom of the garden.
- •Travel.Maybe the greatest lingering gift he left me — among many truly great gifts. I never feel closer to him than when my bags are packed and I'm out in the world.