Children are routinely applauded for first steps, first words, etc. But these are the milestones that actually matter.
- •First time decoding the word "stop" on a sign outside the parents' room.
- •First time retrieving a tissue to wipe the nose of a younger sibling.
- •First time opening a car door, climbing in, closing car door, and buckling oneself into a car seat.
- •First time remembering which side is street cleaning in 5 minutes and notifying an adult.
- •First time accepting food delivery with "thank you, have a good one!" yelled at delivery person.
- •First time properly identifying the use of truffle oil in a dinner entree.
- •First time sorting laundry and putting it away with actual success.
- •First time strategically siding with a parent as a tie-breaker when that parent really needs a sushi vs Thai food argument tiebreaker.